Sunday, December 29, 2013

Mart's birthday

Mart's birthday this year was on a Wednesday. Birthday's on Wednesday's are lame. :) Mainly because Mart always has to work and so we only see him for a couple of hours at the end of the day. This year, we've had a lot going on with moving and a new baby and recovering from said baby and then trying to readjust to everything. When I asked Mart what he wanted for his birthday, he said a short weekend in Salt Lake just the two of us. I was MORE than on board with that! So, for a lame Wednesday birthday we just hung out and had dinner and dessert at home.

Here is the card from the kids. This one is sideways, but it's of Ethan and Dad. Apparently Dad is crazy tall compared to Ethan. :)
 



Then the boys helped me wrap presents. They had a blast.


Mart is a major chocoholic! Usually he picks what we call hot chocolate cake. It's delicious and rich. It's a pretty dense chocolate cake with a whipped ganache frosting and topped with marshmallows. This year he chose something a little different. He chose what I lovingly call 'Death by Chocolate Cake'. It looks like diabetes in a cake, but luckily when we ate it, the cake itself wasn't overly sweet so it balanced out better than I anticipated. I just scraped all the outside off when I ate my piece and only ate the inside. :) Yum!




Friday rolled around and we headed to Salt Lake. The sunset was quite amazing on the drive down!


We stayed at the Radisson and it was awesome!


We had gotten a coupon for a free meal at Tucanos for our birthday's and we had never eaten there. We decided if we were going to try it, the best time to try it would be when one of us ate for free! Mart started shoveling down the all you can eat meats as fast as they brought them out, or he knew he'd never be able to eat some of everything. We are not cut out for buffets, we don't eat nearly enough to get our money's worth! But, considering that I don't eat meat and so I was only able to eat two of the skewers brought around (pineapple and grilled veggies), between the gigantic salad bar and those two skewers, I was stuffed! It was pretty tasty and I would probably go back again.


Mart told me that while we were there, the meal he wanted was a crazy delicious hamburger. I got to researching and found two places that kept getting mentioned. Unfortunately, one of them was closed on Saturday's ... (who does that?? :) ), so we went to the second one. It was in a bar called Lucky 13 and everything was supposedly made in house. I guess they even go so far as to smoke their own bacon. They also had two different veggie patty options which was awesome for me! That never happens. I ended up with the black bean patty and the rosemary garlic fries and they were totally delicious! The fries were full of fresh garlic, and a LOT of it ... so when we left, I was seriously radiating garlic fumes. I'm not sure if it was worth it, but they were quite tasty. I think I would definitely go back and eat there again.


After lunch we just went to city creek and wandered around. While in the store Restoration Hardware, we always lounge on the couches that are super ginormous! Everytime I sit on them, I feel like a little kid. My feet poke straight out!


We got the boys a present and it was a hit! They thought it was pretty awesome. It's about as big as he is!



It was fun to hang out for a day without our kids and we had a great time. We both had needed a major break and came back a lot more relaxed than when we left. :) Happy birthday! 29 never looked so good. :)

1 comment:

Seantae Jackson said...

Oh I'm totally jealous of the break but thrilled you got one!!!