Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sick baby

Saturday night was the beginning of a few not so fun days at our house. Ethan suddenly got a fever with no other symptoms. He just a normal fever nothing too out of control Saturday through Sunday night. Monday is when all the fun started.

Monday I took his temperature at it was 103.5. I promptly put him in a luke warm to cold bath to lower it. We also started pushing popsicles on him to cool him off and get liquid in him. He took a nap and when he woke up he was all sweaty but his temp had dropped to 97.5. He had dropped 6 degrees in 2 hours. I was really confused but thought maybe the sweating and the really messy diapers had gotten it all out of his system. I was wrong. He was fine for the rest of the day and into the night.

2:30am Tuesday morning he woke up crying really hard and when I went to check on him he was bright red and the hottest I've ever felt anybody before. I took his temperature and he had reached 104.3. It scared me and I put him in the bathtub in the warmest bath yet since he'd had a fever and he cried the whole time. He was so hot the warm water was freezing to him. I made him sit there dumping water all over him, giving him more tylenol and feeding him popsicles while he sat in the water. It took about an hour to get his temperature to drop down below 103 and I was a little nervous to put him back in his room alone so we had a sleepover on the couch and watched movies. He finally calmed down enough to go back to sleep around 6am. He wouldn't let me sleep of course because he was so wiggly and kept getting on and off the couch.

He has not had a fever since. Hopefully he's now over whatever he had.


Here is Martin and Ethan snuggling and watching a movie. This is all Ethan did for 3 days. He never snuggles this much and he never feels the need to always have a blanket on him. Poor baby.


This is him in between being really hot all the time, he was on lots of tylenol and motrin and was a lot happier that way.


This was the day his temperature skyrocketed up to 103.5 out of nowhere and then dropped suddenly. While it was low we were making him drink as much as we could get him to. In the end, he drank the entire bottle of pedialyte! I was so proud of him.

No comments: