Monday, October 18, 2010

The "Plan"

Well, today I met with my doctor for my 37 week appointment. It was a totally hectic day at their office and I was there FOREVER! I waited in the waiting room for about 20+ minutes (LONG for her office), was weighed in and did a urine sample and told to go to room 7. Waited there for a good 15-20 minutes for the nurse to come back and take my blood pressure. She left and while I was waiting I started to see spots in both of my eyes. It was like rotating sparkly fireworks that lasted 30 seconds to a minute. (Not a good sign ...) She came in and I told her how I visited Labor and Delivery on Saturday and she checked out the notes from that and was a little worried about my blood pressure numbers from that day as well as today. I told her about the spots I just saw and she said "Don't tell me that..!" It's not a good sign. I asked her if she had talked to the surgeon yet and she said yes she had, today in fact...both surgeons were in the room and they both flat out said no I needed to wait the 4 weeks after my baby was born to have my hernias fixed. I also proceeded to tell her that my baby doesn't move a whole lot. He hasn't ever been super wiggly but he has definitely calmed down a lot and hardly ever moves now. This also worried her.

She decided to check me and see how I was progressing and then we'd decide what we needed to do. It's not a good sign when she halfway chuckles and says "I can't even feel the head!" in a totally shocked tone. I knew at that point a VBAC was out. She would have been willing to let me attempt it under extremely close monitoring but I told her we could do whatever would be the safest for both my baby and myself. She told me she wasn't worried enough to send me straight upstairs but that we could wait until tomorrow instead. Then she paused and said "or later in the week." I asked if we could do it on Thursday as I was not ready for it to be tomorrow. I still need to do a few things and if we did it Thursday, Mart wouldn't miss a whole week of work. She agreed and went to have a nurse get it scheduled. She also asked if I could stay a little while and get an NST (Fetal Non-Stress Test) to see how my baby was moving or not moving. After 25 minutes she came in to check the results and was happy with what she saw. Initially she had been worried about waiting until Thursday, but after seeing the results she said she was totally comfortable waiting until Thursday now.

So, just after 7:30am Thursday morning ... I will be a mother of 2! It's totally nerve racking but I'm so excited at the same time. I worry about still being able to give Ethan as much love and attention as he needs, as he demands A LOT! I'm glad that this journey will soon be over and my body can start to go back to normal, and then in 4 weeks I will have two hernias fixed and will feel 100x better than I have been feeling. I also have to admit that I'm super glad that this baby will be born in October...because another November birthday is the LAST thing we need.

So, I guess this is it. I have so much I have to/would like to get done before Thursday. I would love to have my house spotless and disinfected before we leave. I hope I have enough energy and no pains for the next couple of days so I can enjoy the last time I have alone with just Ethan and get my house in order!

Also, I plan on taking a laptop to the hospital with me. I will be there 3-4 days because a c-section recovery is longer ... and I have every intention of updating while I am there with pictures. I'll try and keep this as up-to-date as I can!

No comments: