Monday, February 17, 2014

60!

On Valentine's day, my mom turned 60! When she turned 50, we had a huge over the hill black party for her. Martin, Debi and I all decided that 60 was an age where she needed another big party. This time instead of over the hill and black, we would do something fun and lively and we did 'Young at Heart' instead.

I wanted things to be bright, cheerful, fun and inviting for adults and children. We did 'kid' food and had pizza and hot dogs. Something fun and easy. I just made sure to have food my mom could eat too, since it was her birthday and all. :)


I put out a popcorn machine and filled bags with popcorn for everyone.


I thought doing a photo booth would be fun and my mom would be able to get pictures of everyone there. I found an idea for an easy backdrop on pinterest, and while it worked, it was a little more sloppy than I would have liked. (Probably because I was exhausted while I was making it ...)


The props


Game table with rockem sockem robots, candy land, twister, a hula hoop, chutes and ladders, etc.


The centerpieces




Half of the food.


My mom really likes chocolate cake, or brownies or chocolate cake donuts ... but doesn't eat eggs, dairy, oil or a whole lot of sugar. I struggled trying to find a killer vegan chocolate cake recipe that didn't have a lot of oil in it, but in the end I decided to make black bean (with white beans instead) brownies since there would be a lot of people there. They were quite tasty! They turned out really fudgy and moist and I would definitely make them again.


My cousins broke out the twister, it was awesome. :)



And some fun at the photo booth!











Happy birthday madre! Hope you had a great time! :)

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Just got caught up on your blog! So fun :) You sure know how to make birthdays fun!

Seantae Jackson said...

I'm finally caught up! When I saw how old Jade was getting.... I couldn't believe how big Linc looked next to her! Ethan makes the best old man ever! You're one of the few who actually puts Pinterest into action- way more than all the browsing I did! And I love the party you threw your mom! The brownies weren't gluten free too were they?! ;)