For a while now, Lincoln communicates by nodding his head in yes or no. He doesn't say a whole lot except "Dad" on repeat. You have to ask him questions that can be answered in yes or no, and he will respond by nodding his head. It makes things so much easier! "Are you hungry?" *Nods yes* "Are you sleepy?" *Nods yes* "Do you want to go take a nap?" *Nods yes* "Do you know how to say no?" *Nods yes, and then nods no so that you know he knows the word no* ha. Silly boy.
He's very much a Mama's boy and I'm basically the only person he likes to put him to bed. I will snuggle him up against my chest and just rock him and hum. Sometimes after he calms way down, I'll ask him questions in a whisper.
Tonight went something like this:
"Do you know I love you?"
*Nods yes*
"Do you love me too?"
*Nods yes*
"Do you know that Dad loves you?"
*Nods yes*
"Do you love Dad too?"
*Nods yes*
"Do you love Ethan?"
*Nods yes*
"Is he a fun big brother?"
*Nods yes*
**Long pause**
(Kacean, my cute sister-in-law who had a baby two months after I had Lincoln, is currently pregnant again with a sweet little boy due in August. Pregnancy has been on my mind lately with so many people I know who are pregnant.)
"Do you think Mama should have another baby?"
*Nods yes*
"Do you think you could share Mama with a baby?"
*slight pause, nods yes*
"Is there a girl waiting for Mama in heaven?"
*slight pause, nods yes*
"Do you remember heaven?"
*pause again ... nods yes*
"Do you remember Jesus?"
*Nods yes*
"Do you know that he loves you?"
*Nods yes*
At that exact moment, my heart became so full of love and peace and I knew that he remembered heaven. I knew that he remembered our Savior. I knew that he knew he was loved. I also knew that I was remembered, cared about and loved. It brought tears to my eyes and it was such a tender reminder that was much needed.
While sitting here typing this out, the feelings I had while rocking him and an incredibly warm and full heart came rushing back. I don't always feel like I'm remembered or loved. Sometimes I just feel like I'm lost in the background. Tonight, I am thankful for tender reminders.
2 comments:
Wow! That is so amazing... thank you for writing it down and sharing. Maybe that's why my little boy can't talk yet... he still remembers heaven. Although, he only can say no so I don't know if I dare ask him :)
This brought tears to my eyes. Such a special experience!
Post a Comment