Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Surgery Update

I went in for my hernia repair surgery on November 19th in the morning. The doctor said it was complicated but it went well. I'm sure it's nothing like they imagined it to be. He said the holes were larger than they anticipated. They ended up getting one large piece of mesh for both hernias and sewing my muscles around it.

I was given a 20lb weight limit restriction for 6 weeks and sent home later that day. I was left with about 5-6" of staples running vertical up my belly right through my belly button and a gross tube hooked to a large plastic balloon of sorts that was a draining tube. I have a picture of my belly the day before it all got pulled out, but it's pretty gross looking and I'm not sure I want to post it. My belly looks pretty bad after all it has been through recently. It kind of looks like a saggy deflated balloon...but at least it doesn't hurt anymore!

Anyway, I had the tube and staples in for 10 days and just had them pulled out on the 29th. I had also been sleeping on my couch that entire time because I was unable to get myself in and out of my bed and had to be propped up. I have been able to sleep, somewhat propped up in my own bed the last two nights and it has been so nice!

I haven't hurt as much since all the hardware was removed and have been feeling so much better. I also haven't taken any pain killers since monday. I'm excited to know that this will all be behind me very soon!

1 comment:

Emme said...

I'm such a slacker! I just got caught up on your blog. Your boys are so stinkin' cute!!!! I love Ethan's tree. I think he got teh creative genes from both you and Mart! Wow, you have 2 boys and in 7-10 days Elyse will have 2 girls. I swear that you were just 3 a couple years ago!!!!