Sunday, June 23, 2013

The plan - 37 weeks

 So up until this point, the way I have this baby has been up in the air. We have kept options open to see what would work and how we wanted to approach the situation. With Ber's wedding quickly approaching and the thought of trying to make it to that and take care of a newborn, and recover from a c-section is daunting enough ... but adding in the extra thoughts of "what if I try for a vbac, labor for 24+ hours ... and then have a uterine rupture and rip both hernia repairs open all at the same time...then extend my recovery by who knows how long. How am I supposed to take care of myself, my family and my new baby ... let alone attempt to make it to Ber's wedding? How long would it even take them to repair something like that ... would they even have enough time before I lost a crazy amount of blood? So on and so forth ..."

The longer I actually thought through the possibilities of what might happen, the more I leaned toward a c-section. I feel content with that decision and feel like that would be the safer way to go. I know I recover pretty quickly and am hoping that this time will not be any different. After talking through my concerns with my doctor, she checked me and told me that even without me talking to her first about my concerns, she would have recommended a c-section. I'm not dilating yet, the baby is still really high, my pelvis is small and at a funny angle. She was concerned that I'd end up laboring for a very long time and then end up being rushed to a c-section (which would be the most dangerous situation out of all of my options). That being said, we have tentatively scheduled my c-section for July 2nd. That's the earliest she can legally schedule it for at this point (without it being medically necessary) ... but we are going to bump it up to Friday the 28th. (5 days! Holy beans...) We just have to find a reason for that to happen.

I have been extremely grateful that this pregnancy has been "normal". I haven't had the same scares and issues I've had the previous two times. My blood pressure is high, but a "normalish high". (It's much higher than most people, but has stayed steady the entire time). I have had next to no swelling until the last couple days, and even then it's just my hands and feet. My morning sickness went away at 14 weeks and hasn't shown it's ugly face since. (Thank goodness for that!). I've only gained about 17-20ish pounds and have been measuring 35ish weeks for the last 4 weeks. She thinks I will have a small to average sized baby.

That's what's going on. I know I haven't documented how this pregnancy has been going nearly as much as I did with Lincoln. That's because it hasn't been as eventful. :) I have tried to change that a little toward the end so that when I look back I will be able to remember details, even if they were uneventful.

Now on to the rest of the week.

My mom decided that she wanted to have a baby shower for me this time around. I was a little iffy about it because, well, it was my third baby. I didn't want people to feel like they had to get me a gift. It ended up being kind of last minute, and super casual. Mostly family. It was nice to just hang out and talk, and of course Little Miss was spoiled. I think I am set on clothes for a while now!

Thursday Mart decided that if the baby was going to be coming in a week that he should take the boys camping one last time before she got here. They packed up and headed up Green Canyon Friday night and spent the night. They woke up and went on a small hike and then came home around lunch time. While they were gone, I spent time with my family who were putting on a garage sale at my Grandma's house. The next morning I took myself to get a much needed pedicure. It was totally worth it just to sit in the massage chair for an hour!  It was strange to have my boys gone, but so nice to have a break for a little while.


I guess I better get moving this week and get everything finished that I've been putting off. Hopefully I have enough energy to get everything done and ready! It's amazing how the last nine months seemed to go beyond slow ... but I guarantee this week is going to speed by with everything I still need to get done!

No comments: